Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Recent Studies Have Suggested . . .

. . . That one keeps growing until about the age of 21. Initially published sometime while I was in high school, that gave me hopes late in high school that I could make it past the mark of 5'7" I've been hovering near since the early 2000s. However, we've also known, thanks to near-identical elementary and middle school projects, that my wingspan has consistently been 1/2" longer than my height.

It's also well-known that it's nearly impossible to find tailored shirts that fit my frame correctly. No one, apparently, expects a female to be somewhat skinny and have broad shoulders/long arms at the same time. That means I'm forced to wear shirts that, while fitting my arms and sometimes my shoulders, might otherwise appear scruffy because they're baggy. If I go for fitting to the torso, there's an inch or two of wrist poking out of the sleeves! Very frustrating.

We did a couple of rough measures yesterday, and yeah, I seem to have grown an additional half an inch in height. I was okay with that, then Mom suggested measuring my wingspan. I was expecting to fall within the half-inch surplus measured in the past.

Nope. Figured out where my extra growth went.

Let's just say that if height were measured in one's wingspan, I would be 5'9", maybe 5'10".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buy the ones that fit your arms and shoulders well, then sew darts in them. Or possibly try Title 9 or other athletically inclined catalogs. At least having long arms is an advantage when playing trombone!

Anonymous said...

Might I flip the advantage and implicate the trombone itself as a likely suspect for the inequality?? ;D ;D ;D

Anonymous said...

If the trombone were at fault, then she'd have *one* arm significantly longer than the other!!!