Friday, August 1, 2008

Undead Frankenbook - Posting from the MSU Library

Alas, the solder job was my last stand. I can't keep fixing it like this. Not an hour after I posted last night, I had the Frankenbook running in my room, and I jogged it - nothing bad (normally), mind. It promptly went into "I'm gonna sleep because I think the lid's closed" mode again (and again, staying as such), and this is making me think there's another component near the lid catch that's broken, and a. I don't want to do any more surgeries; they are exhausting and interfere with energy levels I should be putting toward running, and b. I don't know if I can fix that part anyway.

So, in light of the "Nothing Else I Can Do" situation and the Frankenbook's undead state, I'm currently *under orders* to pick out a new computer. Now comes the other tough decision: do I buy a new computer this weekend, or wait till the end of September for the big product line upgrade? I've been looking at the features rumored to be appearing in as early as a month and a half (probably right after the back to school deal ends, which is September 15th).

The MacRumors blog has entries pointing to a major redesign of both the MacBook and the iPod Touches (options available to me RIGHT NOW with the student discount).

Rumors surrounding the MacBook upgrade include:

-Transition from plastic case to an aluminum case (not in favor; heat & impact protection issues. Metal will not protect the guts of the computer during a drop/fall as much as plastic. Given how this Frankenbook deal started, this is a concern of mine).

-Glass trackpad. I can only assume it would make the trackpad similar to that of the touchscreen on the iPhone and the iPod Touch. Personally, I'm VERY intrigued. No one knows what this will look like yet, what it will be able to do (multitouch is pretty much guaranteed, but will it navigate like the 'pods?)

-Structurally (aside from the metal casing), the new MacBook is rumored to have a more rounded shape, similar to that of the Air. Dunno how that affects the tensile strength/impact resistance of the metal case, which is something I'd like to discuss with an Apple tech as well.

-One of the BIG rumors is that this is going to be a transitional model to a "tablet"-style laptop, so there is potential (as always) of significant software/firmware bugs.

Currently, the iPod Touch features music/movie capability, full-screen touch, aluminum casing on the back side, WiFi connectivity, and the ability to surf Internet/e-mail. The back to school deal allows for the possibility of an 8GB model only. Small capacity.

Rumors for the iPod Touch include (and I'm only throwing this in as a residual interest related to the back to school deal. And I'm totally in love with these things):

-Possibility of the addition of GPS. Given the lukewarm response with regards to the GPS introduced in the 3G iPhone, I don't care about this so much. (It doesn't provide turn-by-turn nav ala Garmin because the antennae are too close together.)

-Capacity/price changes.

-First upgrade since Sept. 07 release.

No one appears to know much more than that regarding the iPod Touch. Hopes are for it to be rid of the aluminum backing and have 3G connectivity. Many seem to think it will start to emulate the features currently seen in the 3G iPhone without actually being a phone: camera, 3G, GPS, etc.

So this is what I'm mulling over today. If the Store were closer, I would not hesitate to go there TODAY (since I'm not at work -- power's out in the building I work in) and pulling some rapid-fire questions at the techs/reps. Looks like maybe Sunday morning, I'll zip down to Troy to ask about data backups and do some heavy questioning with a possible purchase, hopefully back to East Lansing in time to partake in some grueling-but-refreshing Series rehearsals in the afternoon.

Additionally, a few links for your amusement (still on the computer topic):
MacBook Touch? (LOVE comment #9)
Interpretations of the rumored glass trackpad for the new MacBook

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really miss my metal pb. The plastic is disintegrating. Heavy use but hasn't been dropped. Other stuff seems intriguing though.